This FAQ was built to help users installing/configuring/troubleshooting their GCam Mods. Use CTRL+F to find out if your question was already answered.
1.0 - FEATURES AND HOW TO INSTALL GCAM 1.1 - WHAT IS A XML FILE AND WHAT IS THAT FOR 1.2 - "APP NOT INSTALLED" WHEN INSTALLING GCAM 1.3 - GCAM IS STUCK AT HDR+ PROCESSING 1.4 - GCAM CRASHES WHEN SELECTING A NEW LIB 1.5 - GCAM CRASHES AFTER LOADING XML
2.0 - WHAT IS THE BEST / MOST STABLE GCAM VERSION 2.1 - DOES GCAM HAVE ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE? 2.2 - DOES GCAM HAVE MACRO MODE? 2.3 - WHY THE CAMERAS DON’T HAVE 48/64 MEGAPIXELS 2.4 - HOW TO GET SELFIES AS FOUND ON VIEWFINDER 2.5 - FIX PHOTOS TOO DARK TAKEN WITH GCAM
3.0 - HOW TO SWITCH BETWEEN CAMERAS 3.1 - WHY USE A CLONED GCAM VERSION 3.2 - HOW TO USE .XML AND .SO FILES 3.3 - HOW TO USE ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY 3.4 - DOES GCAM WORK IN AOSP BASED ROMS 3.5 - HOW TO FIX ULTRAWIDE DISTORTION
4.0 - HOW TO USE PRO/MANUAL MODE 4.1 - HOW TO TAKE PHOTOS FASTER 4.2 - CHOOSE BETWEEN HDR+ OR HDR+ENHANCED 4.3 - HOW TO USE “PLAYGROUND” STICKERS ON GCAM 4.4 - WHAT IS AWB AND WHICH ONES TO SELECT
5.0 - WHAT IS THE LIBPATCHER AND HOW TO ADJUST IT 5.1 - HOW TO GET PORTRAIT MODE ON OBJECTS WORKING 5.2 - WHAT IS SABRE AND WHAT IS FOR?
1.0 – FEATURES AND HOW TO INSTALL GCAM
You can install just like any other Application. Download & Install. To use different GCam versions together you have to clone the apk. If you have any errors clean App cache and Storage and try again. HDR+ / HDR+ enhanced / Bracketing / Motion Photos / Video Stabilization / Super Res Zoom / Smartburst / Top Shot / Slow Motion / Panorama / Photo Sphere / Portrait / Playground / Photobooth / NightSight / Astrophotography.
1.1 – WHAT IS A XML FILE AND WHAT IS THAT FOR
A XML file is a bunch of settings gathered into only one file. Loading that file will make you also load the configurations made for a specific phone. Make sure you select the correct one for your phone.
1.2 – “APP NOT INSTALLED” INSTALLING GCAM
Make sure you uninstall every other GCam Port on your phone. You can’t have both versions installed unless you clone one of the Ports or install a different package name GCam Port. Each port can have different names and that allows you to install different GCam Ports.
1.3 – PHOTO IS STUCK AT HDR+ PROCESSING
Download a version compatible with Android 10.
1.4 – GCAM CRASHES WHEN SELECTING A NEW LIB
Go to Settings > HDR Control > Custom Libs (Stable) and select the Lib. If the app crashes, just load a xml, select custom libs (stable) and save that xml.. load it again and then select the same Lib. (This is ONLY for the Arnova8G2 6.2 GCam)
1.5 – GCAM CRASHES AFTER LOADING XML
When updating an GCam Version from the same developer make sure you clear app cache after updating. If the crash still remains probably the .xml file downloaded is not compatible with the GCam version.
2.0 – WHAT IS THE BEST / MOST STABLE GCAM VERSION
There’s no single best option, but the recommndations in Tech in Bermudas are the ones to try. Feel free to load the files and play with the Settings until it reaches what you want in a picture.
2.1 – DOES GCAM HAVE ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
Not as a single button that boosts saturation/contrast.
Every AI is under the hood and you can tune it with LibPatcher.
2.2 – DOES GCAM HAVE MACRO MODE
First make sure you don’t have a Fixed-Focus Ultrawide Lens and that your OEM supports those Auxiliary Lens (some Brands will require you to Root your phone and flash a Magisk Module to have access to Ultrawide/Macro Lens). Macro Mode can be achieved using Ultrawide Camera!
2.3 – WHY THE CAMERAS DON’T HAVE 48/64/108 MEGAPIXELS
Camera2api implementation only delivers a certain Raw Stream
Example: Xiaomi Mi 10 – 108MP/4 = 27MP Photos
Example 2: OnePlus 7 Pro – 48MP/4 = 12MP Photos
Front and Back Camera usually have the same pixel binning system.
2.4 – HOW TO GET SELFIES AS FOUND ON VIEWFINDER
(6.1/6.2) You can only get it with GCam Tools APK in PlayStore or using any photo editor application.
(7.x) Settings > Advanced > Save selfie as previewed = enabled.
(8.x) Settings > Advanced > Save selfie as previewed = enabled.
2.5 – FIX PHOTOS TOO DARK TAKEN WITH GCAM
Tap the screen when taking a photo and slide up and down the finger to increase/decrease the exposure of your photo. This applies to Front and Back Camera(s).
3.0 – HOW TO SWITCH BETWEEN CAMERAS
(Urnyx Based APKs)
Settings > Advanced > Auxiliary Camera
(Arnova Based APKs)
Settings > Mods Config Creator > Experimental Set ID Camera
Usually when loading a XML you will see the Lens Buttons if they are available for your phone.
Settings > (Search for Auxiliary Camera ID’s)
Make sure your phone has support for Auxiliary Lens.
3.1 – WHY USE A CLONED GCAM VERSION
Use the Clone in these cases:
– You can keep two different versions of the same app installed;
– Have multiple copies of the same app with different settings;
– Keep one version up-to-date and an old version of the same app;
– Clone an app and give it a new name so it doesn’t receive updates.
— Attention that Cloned APKs doesn’t support aux cameras! —
YOU SHOULD NEVER SHARE A CLONED APK SINCE IT LEAKS PERSONAL INFO!
3.2 – HOW TO USE .XML AND .SO FILES
XML’s are config files that include all the settings tweaked for a device. Therefore all the configs are based on personal taste which may suit you or not, that’s why it’s important for you to try them and use whatever you like most. A .SO file is almost the same as a XML but it has the settings hardcoded. Copy the XML file and paste it into:
(GCam 6.x) /GCam/Configs
(GCam 7.x) /GCam/Configs7
(GCam 8.x) /GCam/Configs8
(IF THOSE FOLDERS DON’T EXIST, CREATE THEM)
Depending on the GCam Mod used the configs folder might be different. To know where it is located just save a random test config in the GCam and search for it using any Files App. About the libs its the same question, usually the directories are in the Lib Section of your GCam Mod.
OUT OF STORAGE BUG:
Watch the video in the end of this question.
(OXYGEN OS) Settings/Apps and notifications > Camera > Permissions > Files and media
Allow management of all files
(OTHERS) Long press on GCam icon > App Info
HOW TO LOAD XML’s:
(GCam 6.x/7.x/8.x) To Load a XML open GCam, Double Click on a black area around the shutter button, select the XML Downloaded and then click on “Restore”.
IF THAT DOESNT WORK
-In GCam Settings, go to XML Config > Select XML
This will bring up a file manager. You basically have to select the desired XML there. To search in device storage and look for your XML, you have to tap on the 3 bars on the top left corner select the device storage (shows device Name and free storage), from there you can select your XML.
After that just load it via double tap next to shutter button.
ARNOVA (8.1 and 8.3 VERSIONS)
Go to Developer settings in GCam, search for “bypass” and folder security.
Now save any xml for creating the path. After you did that copy Dennis XML into Android/Data/org.codeaurora.snapcam/files/Configs8. Your saved XML should be also there.
If you don’t see the path you probably did something wrong and everytime you get the storage error, do folder security.
3.3 – HOW TO USE ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY IN GCAM
(GCam 6.x) Not available;
(GCam 7.x) Go to Nightsight, Swipe Down the viewfinder;
(GCam 8.x) Go to Nightsight, Swipe Down the viewfinder.
3.4 – DOES GCAM WORK IN AOSP BASED ROMS?
Yes, tho it may need GApps. And works with the same quality.
3.5 – HOW TO FIX ULTRAWIDE DISTORTION
Settings > HDR Model > Select your Ultrawide Lens > Pixel 5a
(Option above might be different depending on the Mod used. Search!)
Settings > Developer Options:
– rectiface_support_level “1”
– rectiface_shape_correction_threshold “2
4.0 – HOW TO USE PRO/MANUAL MODE
(GCam 6.1 xtreme) Settings > Manual Focus (only that available);
Also the way it works is you set a focus distance, tap once into the viewfinder, then tap the shutter button.
(GCam 6.2 Arnova8G2) Settings > Manual Mode;
First of all, you must use HDR+ Enhanced. Then, enable the options in settings to show the sliders (only the 1st time). When you are in viewfinder to take a photo, click on “Pro” button to join the pro mode, where you can see all the sliders. Now, you can set any values you want. At the end, tap on the screen to apply changes (otherwise it won’t work).
(GCam 7.2 Urnyx05) Long press the Gallery icon to choose ISO and Exposure Time.
(GCam 8.x) Depends on the mod, might be available as a viewfinder icon.
4.1 – HOW TO TAKE PHOTOS FASTER
(GCam 6.x/7.x/8.x) Enable HDR+ instead of HDR+ Enhanced.
You can also search for a HDRNet option and enable it.
(Stock Camera) Use Pro Mode and increase the Shutter Speed.
4.2 – CHOOSE BETWEEN HDR+ AND HDR+ENHANCED
HDR aka (High Dynamic Range) increases the Dynamic Range, the difference between details in the darkest parts of the picture and not washing out in the brightest parts. HDR+ is just a larger range on this and HDR+ Enhanced even larger again. Basically the phone takes a range of pictures and it combines the underexposed bright parts and the overexposed dark parts into one picture. If you leave it set to Enhanced, it will almost always give you the best effects and image quality as it gives itself a little longer time to bring together the image. The only times usually to use HDR+ is when your needing quick snaps of a moving object or if you want a faster shutter image.
4.3 – HOW TO USE “PLAYGROUND” STICKERS ON GCAM
Install the latest ARCore via Play Store or download the apk in APKMirror.
Install the modded AR Stickers or Playground;
Open GCam and select “Playground”
(optional) Download the different Stickers in APKMirror.
4.4 – WHAT IS AWB AND WHICH ONES TO SELECT
AWB means Auto White Balance and as the name says it means that enabling/disabling the option will provide different “whites”. The best option is to try them for yourself and ajust to what you like.
Daylight – Usually OFF is the best option;
Night – OFF for a more Natural Picture and ON for a more Artistic Picture.
This change per device so you should always try it for yourself and see what you like. You can also personalize the AWB with your Camera Sensor.
5.0 – WHAT IS THE LIBPATCHER AND HOW TO ADJUST IT
LibPatcher is a custom library where you can set all the settings to your liking.
Remember that different Mods may have different settings.
– Radius Temporal: (Changes the graininess of the image by affecting noise, the higher the image is more blurry and less noise, the lower the more noisy, but more detail.)
– Tone Curve: (Adjust the Dark Points, White Point, Shadows, Highlights. Recommended to enable it and leave default values.)
– Sharpness: (Allows you to control the image sharpness. Increase it for lowlight shots and decrease it for Selfies. THIS IS PERSONAL PREFERENCE, ADJUST IT TO YOUR NEEDS)
– Luma denoise: (Controls the “grain” on the images that is caused by high ISO. Decrease it to have more details at the cost of high noise or increase it if the noise is unacceptable to you)
– Chroma Denoise: (Controls the color stains. Usually there’s no need to adjust it, as it wouldn’t lead to more quality but you can increase it a bit if you see color stains in the dark. Too high chroma denoise can cause a decrease in saturation. Also chroma is known as color noise)
– Luminance Noise Reduction: (Controls the “grain” in images caused by high ISO. Decrease it to get more detail at the expense of high noise, or increase it if the noise is unacceptable to you)
– Color Noise Reduction: (Controls color spots. There is usually no need to adjust it as this will not improve the quality, but you can increase it slightly if you see colored spots in the dark. Too much chroma noise can cause a decrease in saturation. Also known as color noise)
– Contrast: (Allows you to control the image contrast. Increase it if you want darker shadows and decrease to make it brighter. THIS IS PERSONAL PREFERENCE, ADJUST IT TO YOUR NEEDS)
– Saturation: (Allows you to control the image saturation. Increase it if you want richer colours in the photos. THIS IS PERSONAL PREFERENCE, ADJUST IT TO YOUR NEEDS)
Wavelet Luma Denoise Levels (Factors of Global)
– Level 1 Fine Details (Very slightly changes the photo, mildly smoothing small elements)
– Level 2 Rough Surfaces (Alters image seriously, smoothing grain)
– Level 3 Edges (Change almost nothing. Smoothing slightly edges)
– Level 4 Smooth Surfaces (Change picture drastically, making it posterized, smoothing large areas of the same color)
Wavelet Chroma Denoise Levels (Factors of Global)
– Level 1 Fine Details (Fine textures, but same applies to rough details)
– Level 2 Rough Surfaces (Fine textures, but same applies to rough details)
– Level 3 Edges (Edges are mainly defined by the contrast between one object and another)
– Level 4 Smooth Surfaces (Smooth surfaces are basically mostly uniform areas in the image. Like a wallpaper with not much fine details.)
5.1 – HOW TO GET PORTRAIT MODE ON OBJECTS WORKING
Portrait Mode works only on People. A portrait is a painting, photograph, sculpture, or other artistic representation of a person, in which the face and its expressions are predominant. The intent is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the person. For this reason, in photography a portrait is generally not a snapshot, but a composed image of a person in a still position. A portrait often shows a person looking directly at the painter or photographer, in order to most successfully engage the subject with the viewer.
5.2 – WHAT IS SABRE AND WHAT IS FOR?
Sabre or super resolution zoom was created by Google and it improves photo quality on the sharpness/detail fields. Sadly it only works on Sony Camera Sensors (eg: IMX586) and available in some sensors like Samsung via Magisk Modules.